- Dylon inks on paper.
- 3x 66 x 99,4 cm
- During my time at the KASK academy in Ghent, I spend hours playing with paper and ink. Buckets of water with different shades of Dylon inks where lined up in my studio. All kinds of paper where slided in these pools of color. Sometimes for days, sometimes only for a couple of minutes.
Later on I started to add acryl, aquarel and finally any kind of paint (thanks to Henk Somers for the inspiration!). What came out of the buckets was always a surprise.
The papers were often folded. These three examples were orginally in one piece. For my very first exhibition I had the silly idea to frame and paste the paintings on a wood panel. Later they were each cut in 4 pieces and removed from the wood which caused the damaged.
They are some of the very few I still have. Most of the smaller examples of these drowned paintings are gone because after a while I started to cut parts out of the papers that came out of the buckets. Random design was fine, but I only wanted and tried to keep the 'best' parts. This entropic process of cutting a painting into parts went on and on until I found myself with hundreds of tiny paintings kept in those books they normally use for the collection of stamps or coins. These books are gone too. The mix of all those different kinds of paint made them very fragile. Colors faded or became dark.
These three examples still look fine, even if I suspect they were a bit brighter 30 years ago.